Highways and Public Works

Drug Impaired Driving

Drug impaired driving has been on the rise in Canada. Find how you can protect yourself and stay safe on the road. 

How can I tell if I am impaired by a medicine or other drug?

The main signs and symptoms of impairment may include, but are not limited to:

  • Drowsiness
  • Excitability
  • Altered reaction times
  • Altered depth perception

How can I avoid driving impaired?

You can protect yourself and others on the road with these easy tips:

  • Talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist to learn the side effects of any medications you're taking
  • Carefully read the directions and warning labels of any medications you're taking
  • Ask your healthcare provider about non-impairing alternatives
  • Never take more than the recommended dose
  • Don't mix medications without checking with your healthcare provider or pharmacist first
  • Don't mix alcohol with your medication
  • Make sure you know the signs and symptoms of drug impairment before you get behind the wheel

For More Information

MADD - Drug Impaired Driving

Contact Transport Services

Government of Yukon
Department of Highways and Public Works
Box 2703 (W-17)
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6

Phone: (867) 667-5832
Toll free (in Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, local 5832
Fax: (867) 667-5799
Email: road.safety@gov.yk.ca